Elevate your seafood experience with this homemade cocktail sauce recipe that perfectly balances tangy, sweet, and savory flavors. Crafted with just a handful of ingredients, this sauce adds a zesty kick to any shrimp cocktail or seafood dish.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
- Sweetener or Sugar
- Lemon Juice
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
What Does it Taste Like
- Tangy: The zesty flavor comes from the addition of ingredients like ketchup and lemon juice.
- Sweet: The sweetness comes from the natural sweetness of ketchup or the addition of a small amount of sweetener. The sweet element helps balance the tanginess and adds a pleasant undertone.
- Spicy (optional): The level of spiciness is typically adjusted by adding horseradish or hot sauce.
- Savory: Worcestershire sauce contributes to the savory notes of the sauce.
- Hint of garlic: Complements the seafood.
How to Store/How Long it Will Last
The sauce can typically be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 to 2 weeks. However, it’s always best to rely on your senses to determine if it is still good to use. If you notice any signs of spoilage, such as an off smell, mold, or unusual texture, discard the sauce.
More Sauce Recipes
Pair With These Recipes
Homemade Seafood Shrimp Cocktail Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1-2 tablespoons horseradish Adjust to taste for desired spiciness. I use 1 tablespoon.
- 1/2-1 tablespoon sweetener or sugar Adjust to taste or omit if preferred.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce Optional, for added heat
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine the ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce (if using), garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the flavors according to your preference. If you prefer it spicier, add more horseradish or hot sauce. For a tangier taste, add a bit more lemon juice.
- Once you are satisfied with the flavor, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the sauce to a jar or container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Refrigerate the cocktail sauce for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and develop. (This is optional, but great for the best flavor).