This Fish Fry Seasoning and Breading is a homemade batter spice blend crafted with herbs and spices and promises to transport your taste buds to bliss. Dive into crispy, golden perfection as every bite of succulent fish melts in your mouth.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
What to Use the Breading For
It’s a mixture of ingredients used to coat fish before frying, giving it a crispy and flavorful crust.
- Crispy Texture: The breading creates a crispy and crunchy exterior that contrasts with the tender and moist fish inside. It adds an enjoyable texture to the dish.
- Flavor Enhancement: The seasonings in the breading mixture add flavor to the fish. The combination of salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and other spices enhances the natural taste of the fish and provides a well-rounded flavor profile.
- Moisture Retention: The breading helps to seal in the moisture of the fish during the cooking process. It forms a protective barrier that prevents the fish from drying out and helps maintain its juiciness.
- Golden Crust: Breading gives the fish a mouth-watering golden-brown crust.
- Yellow Cornmeal
- All-purpose flour
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Cayenne pepper (optional, for a spicy kick)
How to Make Fish Fry Breading
Full detailed instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Stir and use for breaded fish or store for use later.
How to Ensure the Breading Sticks to the Fish
I love to use buttermilk to ensure it sticks. It’s also great for tenderizing the fish.
How to Get Crispy Brown Crust
- Select the right type of fish: Choose a firm and flaky fish variety like cod, catfish, haddock, or tilapia. These types of fish hold up well to frying and provide a nice texture.
- Preparing the fish: Ensure the fish is completely dry. This helps remove any excess moisture, which can prevent the breading from sticking properly.
- Dip each fish fillet into the fish fry breading, pressing gently to help it adhere. Make sure both sides are evenly coated with the breading mixture. You can also use buttermilk, as noted above.
- Resting the breaded fish: Place the breaded fish fillets on a baking sheet or plate and let them rest for about 10-15 minutes. This resting period allows the breading to set and adhere better to the fish, resulting in a crispier texture.
Additional Flavor Substitutions
- Cajun Spice: Create a flavorful kick by adding Cajun seasoning to the breading mixture. It typically contains a blend of spices like paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and herbs.
- Lemon Pepper: Incorporate the bright and zesty flavors of lemon and black pepper.
- Garlic and Herb: Mix in garlic powder, dried herbs such as thyme, oregano, and parsley, and a pinch of salt and pepper to give the nuggets a savory boost of flavor.
- Smoky Chipotle: I use smoked paprika in the recipe to add a smoky and spicy element.
- Parmesan and Herb: Combine grated Parmesan cheese with dried herbs like basil, oregano, and parsley. The Parmesan adds a savory, nutty flavor while the herbs provide freshness.
- Old Bay Seasoning: This is a seafood classic and staple. It contains a blend of spices like celery salt, paprika, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, which pair well with catfish.
How to Store
It can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 months.
Can You Reuse Leftover Breading
If the leftover breading mixture has come into contact with raw fish, it’s best to discard it to avoid cross-contamination. Bacteria from the raw fish could multiply and pose a food safety risk.
More Spice Blend Recipes
Blackened Fish and Salmon Recipes
Dry Rub for Chicken Recipe
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning and Rub
Homemade BBQ Seasoning and Rub
Pair With These Recipes
Crispy Fish Sandwich
Fish and Grits
Salmon Rice Bowl
Cod Fish Tacos
Fish Fry Seasoning and Breading
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika Regular paprika is fine.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper Optional, for a spicy kick. I like it spicy and add a full teaspoon.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir.
- Pair the fish fry breading with this Catfish Nuggets Recipe.